Tuesday 3 April 2012

First Day, First Post….First Mini-Rant, Mini-Review?


WWE  '12 Logo
So, it’s the 3rd of April, 2012, and so marks the first ever Re:Genesis post! A quite monumental moment if I do say so myself, well not quite. Wow okay so what a weekend it’s been for me. Not in the respects that I’ve done much but I’ve had loads to do, if you can see where I’m coming from. Okay so this is supposed to be a daily blog about gaming which it shall predominantly be, but I do think it’s good for me to fill you guys in on other things I’ve been getting up to.  Right for those of you who may or may not know, this past Sunday was WrestleMania and to celebrate this I decided I’d dust off my 360 and crack open WWE ’12, well that and the fact that my PS3 controller was beyond usable. Partly due to the fact that it’s now 4 years old and that it might have been thrown against a wall a few times. I really am quite a rage gamer, if I have a bad game, the controller has a bad game sort of thing, but hey! What can I do? I call it passionate…


WWE '12 Randy Orton


Now I know I am 21 and not 12 so getting excited about wrestling should be a thing of the past for me, and I will never forget the day I found out wrestling was fake, felt like the day I found out Santa wasn’t real. My whole world collapsed! Well that might be exaggerated slightly but that brings me straight back to the game in hand. The developers of WWE ’12, THQ really did excel themselves this year as the games before were getting a little bit stale. Where everything was practically the same thing every year with a slightly different title. But it does seem they’ve taken the criticism on board and got right on it with the first massive change this year which was the “Road to WrestleMania.” Story line based play. I found myself playing straight through this, from beginning to end as the story element to It was really, what the word? Enticing? It just made me want to know what was going to happen next. It was truly like a soap opera, utilizing wrestlers past and present, and even my new friend Jacob Cass, he’s just some created guy you play as half way through! The major change this year was the fact that the story usually has you playing through one year in the wrestling world, making it really short and doable in about, no lying, an hour or so. This time round with all the theatrics it’s spread out over a 3 year basis so you’ve got triple, if not more gameplay than the past years. From the story alone!

Now the story is all good and well, but then there’s the game play….Well the somewhat lack of game play. For those who haven’t played a wrestling game in the past, lets say 7 years, won’t understand where I am coming from here. Back in the good old days wrestling games such as SmackDown were just button mashing beat the hell out of your opponent until they didn’t know what planet they were on fun. These days there is so much focus on the “Grappling” aspect of wrestling. Which does in all fairness add the realistic element to the game, but it also makes it so, SO repetitive as you find yourself repeating the same high impact move over and over just the end that match and see what comes next!  There is still nothing more fun that putting the biggest wrestler you can find against the smallest and watching the chaos unfold…>:)

Wrestlers don't believe in car doors.
Last thing I can really comment on about this game is after a good 6 hours of solid gameplay I found myself only really getting the story line achievements. Now I love getting achievements and trophies, and I really find it hard to get into a game unless it has them. There kind of like a way of having something to show for after the relentless hours of gameplay that I will never get back. There also something to aim for as well. But that’s for another day. So yeah after so many hours I thought I’d try and improve my Gamerscore (Which needs some serious work, think I’m around the 2k mark.) So I started achievement hunting. Well I did up until I saw the achievements. There so tedious! For example, win 50 matches in one session. ..One session. ONE SESSION?!  I mean who really has the time to sit and play through 50 matches in one session?! Okay so I do but that’s not what I mean! Even a quick match is still 2 – 3 minutes and what’s that times 50? It’s like 3 months or something! Or around that…I’m sure…

But other than that there isn’t much else I can complain or compliment. WWE ’12 is a wrestling games and that is exactly what it delivers. You wrestle. Simple as that! It looks graphically stunning and I definitely got my fill of half naked, sweaty men throwing themselves around for one year.  So I’m gonna wrap this one up for now as I want to sort my set up page out. I mean makes sense right? Show what I work with and my gaming environment? (And just how ghetto some of it is)

So thanks for having a read and if you enjoyed what you read there more to come so stick around, other than that have a nice day! :D

Genesis

No comments:

Post a Comment